Decision Day

     I have taken photography classes since freshman year, so I was already familiar with adobe editing apps, this made it easier for me to navigate InDesign and Premier Pro. I liked the sleek, easy-to-use format of Premier Pro and how the instructions on how to upload videos were placed throughout the app, so I never felt too confused. The only issue I had with Premier Pro was a problem with uploading my video to the computer but that can easily be fixed by bringing a flash drive to school. While I did enjoy using Premier Pro, I prefer InDesign. InDesign is formatted similarly to Adobe Photoshop, which is what I’ve used more often for editing, and I personally prefer working with photos over videos. I liked the template format of InDesign and the easy-to-use toolbar on the side, I also liked the variety of format options. Because of my preference for photography and InDesign over videography and Premier Pro, I’ve decided I want to do a magazine. 

    Another reason I’ve chosen to do a magazine is because I don’t mind paragraph format writing and I believe I can write an interesting article on whatever topic I choose. The article “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom” discusses the importance of stories, I want to do a magazine because the story I tell will be more impactful than just a video. Stories form a part of the very fabric of who we are and give insight into the past as much, if not more so, than the histories that we read” (Cherry, 2017); this quote displays the importance of stories today. Everyone is different, but for me I am more impacted by words than video. A story will stay with me forever, but I might forget a movie I watched a few weeks after I've seen it. The article isn’t the only thing that tells an influential story in a magazine, it’s also the pictures that go with the article and on the cover. The article “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines” discusses the shift of magazines from long, paragraph-form articles to short sentences and fun colors. The writers interviewed for the article discuss how they are maintaining their long articles while also becoming creative in order to accommodate for the current generation of magazine readers. This article has inspired me to think about the type of story I will write for my magazine. I haven’t made a final decision yet but I’m leaning more towards one long, structured article than multiple short paragraphs. After careful consideration I’ve decided to create a magazine. I’m not sure what topic to choose yet but I think my skills would be put to better use in a magazine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production 1- "Content Page"

Creative Critical Reflection